This is a classic French style of serving green beans. It is speculated by the City Tavern that Thomas Jefferson would have enjoyed this dish because he made numerous references to growing “long haricots” in his Garden Book and he famously spent a lot of time in France.
2 1/2 pounds fresh haricot verts, trimmed
5 1/2 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms (about 1 pound)
3 medium shallots, chopped
6 tablespoons walnut oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the beans and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until just firm but tender
- Drain the beans and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms and shallots and mix gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.